Koby

Japanese or English Dubbing?  

931 members have voted

1. 1. Japanese or English Dubbing?

• Japanese Dubbing with/without Subtitles
    • English Dubbing
    • Doesn't Matter to Me
    • Depends on the Anime

Personally for me it isn't one way or the other, for some anime I prefer the English dubbing and visa-versa.

Really it just depends on which is available to me, and which I get used to first. Once I see the anime series one way, I would rather stick with it rather then switch to the other.

How about you?

• Like 1

It depends on the anime. For example, I cannot stand watching the english dub of the Yu-Gi-Oh! series but other anime such as Trinity Blood, Death Note, Cowboy Bebop has excellent dubbing. It just depends on who dubbed it and how good a job they did...and 4kids never does a good job.

• 1 month later...

When you watch anime, do you prefer dubs, subs, or dual-audio anime?

:byebye:

Personally when it comes to dubs or subs around 90% of the time the subs are better because the English voice actors usually suck or give no emotion to their character making it sound dull. However there is a couple really good dubs that were actually better than the subs in my opinion, such as Cowboy Bebop. Then there is Rurouni Kenshin who's dub was one of the worst I've heard.... I really like the RK series, but I MUST watch it in subs because the dub just painfully kills me.

Now when it comes to downloading anime online, for the most part I try to get the subs since they come out first and are usually the only ones available. However for some anime that I started watching the dubs first, I try to continue with it, because switching languages during an anime can just be really annoying.

:amazed:

Though for the most part if its an anime that has been released in dub, I try to find a dual-audio download of it so I can have both languages with one download.

:happy:

Hm, it depends. I like the Yu Yu Hakusho dubs more than the subs, and DB/DBZ/GT dubs more than the subs. I like the Bleach subs more than the dubs, and Death Note subs more than the dubs. It all comes down to how the characters should be voiced. What voice actor fits that character. Like you said, if the character doesn't have that much personality you'll hear it. That is why I tend to deviate from the Bleach dubs; they just don't sound right for the characters.

Hm, it depends. I like the Yu Yu Hakusho dubs more than the subs, and DB/DBZ/GT dubs more than the subs. I like the Bleach subs more than the dubs, and Death Note subs more than the dubs. It all comes down to how the characters should be voiced. What voice actor fits that character. Like you said, if the character doesn't have that much personality you'll hear it. That is why I tend to deviate from the Bleach dubs; they just don't sound right for the characters.

I thought the Bleach dubs were good.... until I started watching the subs, lol. I prefer Yuyu Hakusho dubs as well, however I tried watching the Yuyu Hakusho movies in dub and OMG they sucked. If I remember correctly another company had licensed the movies and dubbed them, thus why the voices are different.

• 7 months later...

My boyfriend only watchs Anime in Japanese so if i'm watching it with him I have to watch it subtitled...of course it helps that HE speaks Japanese *mutters* I have a strong case of dyslexia so its hard for me to keep up with the subtitles in some of the animes and I happen to like many of the English actors *laughs* Johnny Young Bach (sp?) is in all the animes my brother and I really like *laughs*

If i'm downloading I will get it in English only.

Subtitles are the only way to go, American voice actors mostly suck when compared to the original voice actors. I can see why, if you have dyslexia, that it would be a pain. I dunno, I don't even remember reading the stuff in the anime, it translates, in my mind that, the words they are saying, are the ones I am reading... so it pretty much is the same as watching it in english, but with better voices.

Then again, I try to stay away from anime nowadays, I pretty much only do Manga after how they destroyed some of my favorite mangas.

• 1 month later...

I prefer subs because they just sound better and more emotional. Seems like they are the character.

While the dubs seem like the voice actors put no work into their work and don't seem to show emotion and crap.

Although I admit that if the series is in dub, I tend to pick it up and watch it rather than the subs. Such as the box sets I buy.. even though I prefer the subs.. I just like the opportunity to not have to focus as much to read and relax sometimes.

• 1 month later...

In general, I rather watch dubs just because I don't want to take away from watching the anime itself by reading subtitles the whole time. In fact, it took me a while before I could even stand watching subs for this very reason.

However, some series (like Soul Eater) have not been dubbed yet, so of course I'll watch the subs of those.

Put shortly, I'll watch a dub if there is one, and a sub if there isn't a dub.

That is, unless the English voice actors suck really really really badly, and I mean it has to be REALLY bad for me to choose a sub over a dub.

• 2 weeks later...

When it comes to Dub vs Sub it can go either way depending on what it is. The dubbing is A LOT better now than what it used to be. There is only so much that the companies and the actors they hire can do and they are doing their best to bring us good dubbed anime. Just be thankful 4kids isnt around anymore to butcher any more anime....only the ones they already destroyed. I will admit that there are the animes that are way better in japanese, but there are also the ones that are better in english. Like the one anime that I CANT stand to watch in japanese is Blood Plus, cause the voices are so high and squeaky that it kills me. And you have to admit that there are some good ones in english that everyone(even people who hate dubs) can agree are good like FMA.

Me, I prefer dubs because to me I get more of the emotion or whatever out of it cause when its in my own language I really get into it more, or whatever they are saying really hits me cause I know what they are saying without having to read to find out why someone just starts screaming at someone else and stuff like that. But I also like to watch some in japanese cause a single or more characters I might like better in the japanese. I just like to keep variety in there cause its originaly from Japan so I watch some japanese and they dub it in america and I'm thankful for that. Like Nauro, I watch it in english and japanese bacause I dont like Naruto's voice in the english but I like most of the other characters, and because sometimes I dont want to wait till the english comes out so I watch it in japanese. But the point is that there is no reason to hate one or the other, if people who hate the dub gave it a chance then that would be nice and if the people who hate the japanese gave it a chance too that would be awesome(it does originate from japan afterall so you have to give it a try).

Sorry for like the really long reply on this, if only you knew how many times I have to explain this to people who fight over something thats so easy to fix. But in the end its your own opinion, you can hate the dub, you can hate the sub, or you can be like me and like both, or like none its up to you. Hopes this helps.

• 1 year later...

I love both of them and watch either of them depending on the series. I think most series is better subtitled but there are some I prefer dubbed. I pick up around 5-7 new shows every season that are airing in Japan and thus only subbed, so I watch a lot more Anime subtitled then I do dubbed.

Fullmetal Alchemist, Dragonball Z, Inuyasha, Yuyu Hakusho, etc.. are examples of Anime I prefer dubbed.

Then there are shows like Soul Eater, D.Gray-man, etc where the dub is completely horrible and pretty much has to be seen subtitled.

I prefer subbed anime, even if there is a dub available. I'm not exactly sure why though. I guess one reason is that some dubs are just horrible, and I’m tired of hearing the same voice actors.

With subs, I feel like I’m watching something original. With dubs, I always get the feeling that I’m watching something that has been tampered with. It’s an annoying feeling when I’m trying to enjoy the dub.

I prefer subbed anime, even if there is a dub available. I'm not exactly sure why though. I guess one reason is that some dubs are just horrible, and I’m tired of hearing the same voice actors.

With subs, I feel like I’m watching something original. With dubs, I always get the feeling that I’m watching something that has been tampered with. It’s an annoying feeling when I’m trying to enjoy the dub.

I agree on that. Almost all dubbed Anime lately has had like the same 5-6 voice actors and it's getting old.

Out of all the anime I have seen, 80 are dubbed and 88 are subbed.

- subs on older shows, I'm guessing anime wasn't popular enough to get good voice actors then.

- subs on shonen genre...they love to cut stuff out for toonami

- subs on anything too recent/obscure to have a dub

- dubs on anything I watch with my girlfriend or other people

- dubs on comedy shows

- dubs on shows I really liked that I already have seen subbed

I like dubs on anime just because I really try to stay with the story and it makes it a lot easier because I don't like to read and try to focus on the character ques.

As for hentai I like it better in subs because Original voice actor is usually a lot better and foreign voices are always hot haha