Game of Thrones (TV Series)

Nero D. Ace

I managed to order the Blu-ray for season one about 4 days ago. Amazon had a big sale on it for only $34.99 compared to it's normal $60-$80. If I get the chance (doubtful since I have so much other things to watch) I'd like to re-watch it via the Blu-rays before season 2 starts to refresh etc.

• 2 weeks later...

WAR IS COMING...

Because HBO love us and knows how impatiently we’re waiting for April 1 to arrive, they’ve released six clips from season two’s premiere episode, titled “The North Remembers.” Dragons and Dany and Robb, oh my! Everything looks perfect – better than I imagined it. Thank you, HBO. It’s a bittersweet gift, though; now I’m more impatient than ever for Sunday to get here. Enjoy!

Clip 1: Daenerys and Drogon

TuaObvlexr4

Clip 2: Joffrey and Tyrion

3nX5S4DV85c

Clip 3: Jon and Commander Mormont

teOfknTyzYc

Clip 4: Night’s Watch arrives at Caster’s Keep

f9w0pHjWiIE

Clip 5: Robb Stark names his peace terms for the Lannisters

FYfiEIAth10

Clip 6: Tyrion, Cersei, and the Small Council

geFQly1N8UQ

If you’re new to Game of Thrones, or if you want to get a closer look at the story from season one – and photos of the new characters in season two – then I highly recommend going to HBO’s Game of Thrones site. You’ll find photos, House histories, cool and informative interactive maps, loads of behind-the-scenes clips, and an amazing 22-minute feature on S1 and an intro to S2.

I’m so excited for season two to start. I’m at the point where I’m thinking things like, “The world better not end before I get to see all of this season. Alien invasion? Mayan apocalypse? Just cool your jets over there until the end of June. I’m serious. Just . . . go wait in the corner.” I’m sure some of you know what I’m saying. I’ll see you back here after “The North Remembers.” Yay!

Game of Thrones returns to HBO on Sunday, April 1, 9/8c.

WINTER IS COMING...

Game of Thrones is back and even better than before, as impossible as that sounds. “The North Remembers” is fast-paced and sure-footed as it moves from teeming Kings Landing to nearly abandoned Winterfell to the searing Red Waste to the frozen North beyond the Wall to the dour Dragonstone and back around again. The hour flew by so quickly.

A red comet appears in the sky, and I love how it is used to move seamlessly from one location to another, how it ties the stories together no matter how distant they may be from each other on the map. Speaking of maps, did you notice the table where Stannis Baratheon is holding his war council? It’s in the shape of a map of Westeros with all seven kingdoms marked in gold. It’s details like that that let you know Game of Thrones is all in when it comes to telling their story. Craster’s Keep is another example; it was hand built by the production crew, and it’s perfect: dark and cold and sad.

The dire wolves have grown. Robb’s Grey Wind is the size of pony and is now played by a real wolf instead of a dog. It’s a nice touch. Bran’s dire wolf, Summer, besides having saved his life, has become his vessel for skin walking, too.

There are so many great moments in this episode, it’s hard to pick an absolute favorite. High on my list is the scene where Littlefinger overplays his hand with Cersei, and she almost literally hands him his head. “Power is power,” indeed. Another wonderful moment: Sansa showing both courage and resourcefulness when dealing with the pathologically homicidal Joffrey. And Tyrion’s sincere sympathy for her plight.

We see no battles, but the war for dominion of the seven kingdoms touches everywhere in Westeros. The characters in season two are changed by the power vacuum left when Robert Baratheon died and even more so by the killing of Ned Stark. Robb Stark looks like a king in more than name; he’s more confident as a warrior and a monarch. On the flip side of the Stark coin, Jon Snow is learning, if not humility, then how to follow.

The scene where the city guard runs through Kings Landing killing all of Robert’s assumed bastard children kind of seem to come out of no where at the end, but from the looks of that angry mob, Cersei and Joffrey are going to be paying for this act of terror.

I've been following this series since it aired, & so far I love it. I'm hooked, & Season 2 started nicely -- I can't wait till next week's episode. I don't even have HBO but I find them online.

Only thing about this show is I sometimes wish it wasn't so MA. Not for myself, I could care less -- But I'd like to share the show with others & I already know pretty much all of them would have a problem with it. Even with the story being so great. This is my new guilty pleasure show.

Only thing about this show is I sometimes wish it wasn't so MA. Not for myself, I could care less -- But I'd like to share the show with others & I already know pretty much all of them would have a problem with it. Even with the story being so great. This is my new guilty pleasure show.

I second this. The nudity and stuff was a huge turn-off at the beginning, but as the show got more interesting and complex, I kind of tuned it out. I'd love for my mom and brother to watch it (my brother wouldn't have a problem, I'm sure >_>), but that's not the kind of thing you recommend to your mom, haha.

I'm fine with the MA content myself, and anyone I'd tell to try it out would be fine with it, so doesn't bother me at all. If you think this has a lot of MA content, try watching Spartacus. Cocks and tits are all over the place there. You even often see women's pubes. Still didn't have a problem with that either, although I'd be a lil less likely to recommend it to some people than I would Game of Thrones. Like for example, I'd recommend Game of Thrones to my mom, but probably not Spartacus. Though that isn't all about the MA content either. It's also about what the show is about. Game of Thrones is mostly the political mess between the various people claiming their right to the throne. Spartacus on the other hand is mostly about fighting and spewing blood every where.

Interesting. I started reading the books like the last Targeryan after Season 1 ended and I had no idea how they were gonna pull off something as MASSIVE as Clash of Kings. I gotta say, so far, they've done a helluva good job. All the characters are portrayed properly and Robb's starting to look the part of the "King in the North".

The only thing that felt kinda wrong was when the Maester and the Red Lady had that drink. In the books, he poisons it and gets HER to drink it first, following which the Lady tricks him into drinking it as well.

I liked how they remembered to make that amulet glow as the liquid went down her throat.

The comet got depicted real well too.

The people I work with watch a lot of television shows--to the point where I worry about what they're doing with their lives. Regardless, I have heard a lot of good things about this show (and Spartacus, but I'll get to that in a moment) from my coworkers and around the Internet in general. I do know the show is apparently based on books, which, I suppose if you're having a difficult time recommending it to someone, you could start off with recommending the books?

I was reluctant to, and still haven't, watch Spartacus because all I heard from anyone was how bloody and sexual it was. It didn't sound like there were any other redeeming qualities to the show, and based on what Koby just said, it sounds like there isn't any, haha. I don't mind "mature content", even silly amounts of violence (I quite liked Kill Bill, blood fountains or not), but it does have to interest me otherwise with a good story. It's one of the problems I have with comics--there are a couple series that I really like and enjoy, but it's hard to dig through a lot of the horrible stories with ridiculous oversexualised garbage that would better serve as pin-ups than anything else.

I haven't watched a lot of television since I joined the military, but with my pending separation, I might start with reading the books and seeing if it's something I want more of. It's what happened with me and Hunger Games, and I'm rather forgiving about changes between media formats, so differences like what Nero pointed out above wouldn't bother me, although I'm sure I would notice them.

Is the show relatively faithful to the books? (I do see that Nero did like the transition between the books and the show, so I'm curious and would like to hear more.) I know one of my friends who watches True Blood eventually had to stop because apparently it just started diverging too much from the books? I'm not sure what the whole story was since I don't care about True Blood, but I am curious.

Obviously, the story is really great and I would recommend it to people, but the MA content makes me slightly hesitant. I guess I'd be sure to give people a warning, because it definitely caught me off-guard.

Is the show relatively faithful to the books? (I do see that Nero did like the transition between the books and the show, so I'm curious and would like to hear more.) I know one of my friends who watches True Blood eventually had to stop because apparently it just started diverging too much from the books? I'm not sure what the whole story was since I don't care about True Blood, but I am curious.

I know the first season followed the first book really well. I haven't read much of the second, so I can't comment on that.

Obviously, the story is really great and I would recommend it to people, but the MA content makes me slightly hesitant. I guess I'd be sure to give people a warning, because it definitely caught me off-guard.

I know the first season followed the first book really well. I haven't read much of the second, so I can't comment on that.

So far it has been faithful. They have also added scenes, like the stunt Cersei pulled with Littlefinger, for entertainment purposes

• 2 weeks later...