Smallville: Will Michael Rosenbaum Appear in the Series Finale?

Koby

Hmm, this sounds lame. I really think fans of Smallville would appreciate it if Michael Rosenbaum would return for the series finale and he’s not really busy with other stuff if I’m correct, so it’s not very nice of him. Would you like to see Michael Rosenbaum return for the series finale?

Lex Luthor’s latest scheme is perhaps his most villainous yet: Refusing to appear in the Smallville series finale.

EW has learned that actor Michael Rosenbaum has repeatedly rebuffed attempts by producers this season to get him back on The CW’s show to reprise his role as Luthor in the finale.

“He has put the show behind him and moved on,” says a knowledgeable source. “He’s pursuing his other creative outlet [writing]. By all indications, he is not going to be involved.”

The door still remains open for Rosenbaum to come on board, but it’s closing fast. Smallville wraps series production late next month, with only three episodes — including the two-hour finale — left to shoot.

Apart from seeing the Man of Steel finally put on the spandex suit and fly like he means it, a re-appearance by Rosenbaum is the top request by fans looking for creative closure in Smallville‘s final season. (Forget Waiting for Superman — for Smallville fans, it’s all about Waiting for Lex.)

Rosenbaum played Superman’s arch rival for seven seasons on the show and Smallville ends its epic 10-year run in May. Producers have publicly taken a “you’ll have to tune in to find out” stance when asked whether Rosenbaum will show up, all the while naturally hoping the actor will change his mind.

Smallville will air its final hours on Friday, May 13. The CW had no comment.

UPDATE:

Great news, Smallville fans: Michael Rosenbaum – aka Lex Luthor — made a deal late Friday to make a much-anticipated comeback for the series finale. The superhero drama ends its epic 10-year run in May.

“It feels like the stars are aligning, literally,” according to a statement from Executive Producers Kelly Souders and Brian Peterson. “We couldn’t be more excited about having Michael back. And as far as the way he returns…there’ll be no doubt about how Lex becomes the great rival in Clark Kent’s life. He is the villain of the story.”

Rosenbaum released a statement of his own: “I’m delighted to return for the series finale. I’m simply doing it for all of the fans out there who made Smallville the great success it is. I appreciate all of their passion, their relentlessness and even their threats.”

He can say that again. After EW posted a story Thursday that said Rosenbaum may not return, EW message boards immediately lit up with angry posts from fans who were mad the actor wasn’t going to see off the show that helped to make him a star. Apart from watching the Man of Steel finally put on the spandex suit and fly like he means it, a re-appearance by Rosenbaum was the top request by viewers looking for creative closure in Smallville‘s final season.

“What a joke,” said a fan named Joe on the EW boards. “Clearly he doesn’t give a rats arse about the fans that built his career. Hope he disappears into Hollywood oblivion…” Others questioned whether something mysterious was keeping him away from the Smallville set. “I wonder if there’s some bad blood between Michael and the show,” said a fan named Attia. “Even Julianne Moore returned to the soap opera As The World Turns that she starred in back in the’ 80s for its final [season].”

Rosenbaum played Superman’s arch rival for seven seasons on the drama. Producers had been taking a ”you’ll have to tune in to find out” stance when asked whether Rosenbaum will show up, all the while naturally hoping the actor will change his mind. Fortunately for the show’s rabid fans, he’s coming home.

“I can’t wait to hug the old crew back in Vancouver one last time and see all of my old friends once again,” Rosenbaum said.

• 2 weeks later...
Haven’t watched Smallville since Lex dropped out, he’d be the only reason I’d watch the finale, tbh.

Same here. I used to watch Smallville every so often with my mother because it was always on before Supernatural. And after they graduated from high school or whatever, I stopped watching. I always liked Michael Rosenbaum's portrayal of Lex Luther. I probably still won't watch it because I'd probably be absolutely lost, but I think it's a cool idea.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...