Fairy Tail

DrumRoll

i've watched the one english dubbed episode, i was incredibly disappointed, the japanese voice cast puts more feeling into it, and they sound like they have more fun.

you watched funimation's and not animax's i assume but anyways this is only the first episode, can't judge it off that, i'd say wait until you at leastb hear all the main character's voices like until at least episode 10

....I don't know about you guys but just after catching up with the latest chapters of fairy tail did I see what happened in chapter 253.

http://www.mangafox.com/manga/fairy_tail/v25/c253/1.html

I have to say I really do feel sick to the stomach , that is how upset I am.

t253.019.jpg

I really love fairy tail...Esp Natsu. I would read it over and over again just to laugh at him.

And now ....they all gone?

Man I don't know about you guys, I know this might sound very childish to say, but If Hiro doesn't somehow bring them back...and creates a new fairy tail story... I am so not reading this manga anymore.

sigh... but I do have hope.....

there was that weird girl with them...so maybe she will be a link to bringing them back?

459px-Mysterious_girl.JPG

Have to wait till the next chapter is out "Chapter 254: X791"

Which takes place 7 years later.

• 4 weeks later...

Colleen Clinkenbeard as Ezra?! YES! She’s perfect! I have yet to hear a voice tone come from her that disappoints character expectations. Same with Christopher Sabat doing Elfman. Perfect casting.

Having heard Lucy’s dubbed voice, I found it rather irritating. But then I’m not a fan of Lucy in general so…

And Todd as Natsu: well it’s not perfect and probably not who I would have cast. Not completely horrible, though. I’m in the process of watching Fairy Tale subbed, and while Todd is a great voice actor, the Japanese voice for Natsu is a bit more…I don’t know…expressive? The English voice doesn’t quite flow as well. But still it's not a bad dub.

So far after watching the first 4 episodes I really like the cast to me all the voices fit perfectly. I've never watched the subbed but even though I did try it out I doubt I'd like it cause my ears are used to dub voices and I doubt they would like Japanese voices. Oh well to each his own right?

• 1 month later...

After finishing my exams and forcing myself to leave Skyrim, I got a chance to watch Fairy Tail dubbed. I was quite excited too.... until I realised that Natsu sounds like Bitch , Gray sounds OK when compared to the Japanese voice and when he says " Ice Make" it seems like someones gonna shoot him if he puts emotions in that line, Happy... what can I say about his voice actor, the Japanese voice actor is perfectly suited for this lil cat, while the English voice actor just takes away that essence of "This Cat is cute" and makes the english Happy seems less energetic compared to the Japanese one. Erza sounds younger in the English version. Overall it just seems like the voice actors were overdosed on caffeine, there's no emotion, nothing. The english dubs seem like some stage drama with adult trying to sound like annoying teenagers. They sound like them 80's magic shows with that.... I can't even describe it, but it annoys the crap outta me. WAY TO GO FUNIMATION. I'm going back to Subs. What did you think of the Dub?

Natsu isn't energetic enough he sounds like he's half a sleep ALL THE TIME, Happy sounds like a 3-year old girl and nothing like he should and all his lines seem forced, Erza fits fairly well, Lucy is all right, and Gray is a bit emotionless. Over all it's half-way decent. About the only person I say without a doubt they need to change is Happy. The others just need to learn how to act a little better and put more energy into their words.

I say the dub is about medicore-average better then animax's but it could use a little work, but i can say by episode 12 they were a little more into characters but at first imo the dub seemed rushed the scripting the voice acting, everything seemed rushed but i wouldn't say they dubbed it entirely aweful, i'm give it a few more episodes once the anime starts to tense up and the action realyl kicks in and the comdedy i think it will be mroe together, but one thing i hoep they change is how they make gray says his attacks like when they do a close up, i know they gotta match flaps but it sounds awkward when they do it like "ice make shield.... HA!" when it should be "ice make.... SHIELD" etc.

It's not about comparing.

FUNi Natsu is more or less saying his roles with a meh bland attitude rather than the energetic personality Natsu is suppose to have. He just needs to put more emotion into it and breathe life into the character. So far he has failed to do that.

FUNi Happy freaking sucks ass and anyone who says different is either retarded, severely deaf, or has some extremely terribly low standards. It's that terrible. The girl isn't even acting, she's forcing her lines and thus it doesn't sound natural at all. Not to mention Happy is a male cat. He should not sound like a 3-year old girl hyped up on mountain dew and cotton candy.

Overall the dub is fairly decent. But Happy's voice actor needs to die and Natsu's needs to quit being a bore-fest.

Natsu isn't energetic enough he sounds like he's half a sleep ALL THE TIME, Happy sounds like a 3-year old girl and nothing like he should and all his lines seem forced, Erza fits fairly well, Lucy is all right, and Gray is a bit emotionless. Over all it's half-way decent. About the only person I say without a doubt they need to change is Happy. The others just need to learn how to act a little better and put more energy into their words.

Anyhow my predictions earlier this year when they announced the full cast were actually spot on. Everyone I said would do fine has done so and the two people I suggested would be problematic are. I'll see if I can dig up my post about it and quote it here.

In a way, you can't really judge or compare dubs to subs, they are completely different ways of watching and/or listening to anime series. People who haven't watched the sub and watched the dub first would have thought that the dub was great, and that the voices fit the characters perfectly. But then if they watched the sub first, they may change their opinions. But remember: Japanese voice actors (due to the language I guess) sound way different compared to english dub actors. But overall, I have watched both sub and dub, and I like both (Because i love both sub and dub) but for me, I have to agree with all of the above, the Japanese actors did a way better job than the english actors.

• 2 months later...

Gotta agree with Max here, having only watched the dub version its not all thast bad, yeah some of the voices need a little work but overall i thought it was pretty good especially compared to some of Funimations other less that stellar efforts

I'm going through the dubs right about now and I think they're great, but I'm still pretty inexperienced so I can't really look into things like this as well as some others can. Quite often I choose to ignore bad quality things I notice or find out about to save me from ruining the anime for myself with needless nitpicking.

All the main reasons for why you shouldn't necessarily compare English dubs to the original Japanese ones have pretty much been stated already so I won't go on about that.