typical everyday websurfing, coding, document processing, the works

watching anime in the highest quality possible

no gaming

ssd + hdd

removable battery

easy to open/clean out

need for it to have very good airflow

light up keyboard (optional)

>no gaming and >ssd + hdd... You probably wont find anything that suits. I would recommend Lenovo's ThinkPad range. There's quite a few to choose from.

I'm not against buying a gaming laptop. It's just those are expensive.

If I have to go that route. Which one would you suggest.

Remember i'm sure I won't be using all the bells and whistles of a g laptop, only those features that would let me watch my animations.

Thnx

I only know of Dell's Alienware laptops sporting the HDD + SSD setup. But there's also the option of buying a laptop with an optical disk drive and replacing it with a HDD or SSD. I honestly don't see the point in all this though.

Well since I download delete a lot....it makes sense for me to use an hdd for that.

It's not a bad idea, it's just redundant when you use other technologies the way they're meant to be used.

You can use an SSD for watching and deleting. SSD technology is a lot better than what it was 5 years ago. And most SSD's come with a 5 year limited warranty, which is probably about the average length of time you would keep a laptop.

• Like 1

Ahh. Now that piece of info is interesting. Have u used this warranty before?

My current hdd is making noise afters 5 years of use. And what i learned is that hdd life is greater than ssd.if that is the case then my ssd will repeatedly fail before every five years. Making me buy a new one.

Along with that I have reinstall and configure cuz a bad ssd is one with corrupted sectors (corrupted nands).

So to save myself from an inevitable and expensive problem. I thought its better to abstract the two. Reducing wear. And only replacing the hdd which should be inexpensive.

And redundancy is one method for increasing reliability, at least that was what i was taught in hardware design courses.

Edited by professa X

No, I haven't used any type of hard drive warranty. My hardware rarely fails. I still have a first gen Intel SSD from 2010 up and running.

It's a limited warranty. If you exceed the amount of TB stated, your warranty ends. Samsung's EVO line has a limit of 150TB (500GB model, it's 75TB for the smaller ones), which is a lot of data to push over 5 years.

Redundancy is normally offered in the form of RAID arrays. I'm not entirely sure where you're going with that.

Edit: to clarify, those TB figures are for data written.

Edited by JohnFlower
  • Like 1

No, I haven't used any type of hard drive warranty. My hardware rarely fails. I still have a first gen Intel SSD from 2010 up and running.

It's a limited warranty. If you exceed the amount of TB stated, your warranty ends. Samsung's EVO line has a limit of 150TB (500GB model, it's 75TB for the smaller ones), which is a lot of data to push over 5 years.

Redundancy is normally offered in the form of RAID arrays. I'm not entirely sure where you're going with that.

Edit: to clarify, those TB figures are for data written.

Thnx for the info and indulging me.

Kappa, just buy a gaming laptop when it goes on sale. Ez lyfe!

Seriously though, it's the only option that fulfills everything you want. Most gaming laptops have better airflow and seeing that it's a must for you. I brought a gaming laptop for study and VMs, stays super cool about 37C-40C with what I use it for. Gaming laptops are the only one that offers more storage connectivity compared to the more consumer side ones that you are thinking about. Also on the repair-ability gaming laptops are the only ones that offer ez as changing toilet rolls upgrades on their hardware, i.e. easy to open, easy to access RAM, SATA, mSATA, heatsink, etc

I got my laptop for ~$700 USD + $160 USD  for delivery to Australia. Super cheap ez.

Specs:

Manufacturer: Lenovo 
Model: Y50-70 
CPU: Intel core i7 4710HQ -90mV UV @ 3.5GHz 
RAM: 16GB DDR3L 1600MHz 
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M Maxwell 4GB OC @ 1.233GHz Core 6.27GHz Memory 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD with Rapid Mode Enabled 
Display: AU Optronics B156HAN01.2 Wide Gamut IPS 1920x1080 Panel 
Mouse: ELAN Pad + Logitech G400 Gaming Mouse 
Keyboard: Red Backlit AccuType Keyboard 
Sound: JBL Speakers with Dolby Advanced Audio V2 
Wireless: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 + Bluetooth 4.0 
Network: Realtek PCIe 1Gbps Ethernet

>no gaming and >ssd + hdd... You probably wont find anything that suits. I would recommend Lenovo's ThinkPad range. There's quite a few to choose from.

Remember i'm sure I won't be using all the bells and whistles of a g laptop, only those features that would let me watch my animations.

Thnx

why u put all money buying new one laptopes ..Simply change motherboard and Graphic card from  CPU Cabinet..its handy instead buying new laptopes ...  I never choose watch anime on laptopes ..it come smaller screen  than Destop Monitor..  If u are travelling here and there then go for laptopes ..Its handy ..but if u living in fixed location then Go destop..In same Price desktop Pc Come faster performance than Laptopes ..So their is No problem ..

my brother buy desktop Pc  during year 2006  it come with ATI radeon Xpress 1150 graphic and Single Core CPU with 80 GB HDD ..still all Parts working Fine without any problem ..Only Problem occurs to Lan Only ..I installed window 10 on it ..Still ATI driver graphic card  support it ...Nearly i format drive frequently to install window from xp to 10(installed vista,window 7 ,8,10 also)..this PC crashed so many  but still my HDD working Fine ..ITs become too old so cant even play hi10 720p mini encodes..In short i only say  hardware dont fail  soon...

Thnx

why u put all money buying new one laptopes ..Simply change motherboard and Graphic card from  CPU Cabinet..its handy instead buying new laptopes ...  I never choose watch anime on laptopes ..it come smaller screen  than Destop Monitor..  If u are travelling here and there then go for laptopes ..Its handy ..but if u living in fixed location then Go destop..In same Price desktop Pc Come faster performance than Laptopes ..So their is No problem ..

my brother buy desktop Pc  during year 2006  it come with ATI radeon Xpress 1150 graphic and Single Core CPU with 80 GB HDD ..still all Parts working Fine without any problem ..Only Problem occurs to Lan Only ..I installed window 10 on it ..Still ATI driver graphic card  support it ...Nearly i format drive frequently to install window from xp to 10(installed vista,window 7 ,8,10 also)..this PC crashed so many  but still my HDD working Fine ..ITs become too old so cant even play hi10 720p mini encodes..In short i only say  hardware dont fail  soon...

I think you misread what Johnny said:

No it doesn't make sense. A laptop isn't a full replacement for a server or desktop. I think you're going about this the wrong way.

So I really go no idea what is the point of your post... Personally I use both my PC and Laptop, it's just more easier to take a 2KG laptop vs my 25KG PC to university or work.

• Like 1

No it doesn't make sense. A laptop isn't a full replacement for a server or desktop. I think you're going about this the wrong way.

So I really go no idea what is the point of your post... Personally I use both my PC and Laptop, it's just more easier to take a 2KG laptop vs my 25KG PC to university or work.

Comparing KG is not point ..U cant travel from home to  university  along with desktop PC ..if u want for purpose then simply choose laptop.professa X is mentioned that professa X already have one laptop ..professa X want buy another laptopes  .old laptopes do typical everyday websurfing,  document processing and the works except coding ..other point professa X mentioned it is  highest quality  for watching anime ..  For highest quality  for watching anime ,why u buy another laptop..During buying single laptop  increase expensive... .normally desktop have ability to modify  less expensive but upgrade laptopes increase more Expensive..that Point view i reply Previous Post ..

If professa X wants for university purpose   Go laptop ..

Comparing KG is not point ..U cant travel from home to  university  along with desktop PC ..if u want for purpose then simply choose laptop.professa X is mentioned that professa X already have one laptop ..professa X want buy another laptopes  .old laptopes do typical everyday websurfing,  document processing and the works except coding ..other point professa X mentioned it is  highest quality  for watching anime ..  For highest quality  for watching anime ,why u buy another laptop..During buying single laptop  increase expensive... .normally desktop have ability to modify  less expensive but upgrade laptopes increase more Expensive..that Point view i reply Previous Post ..

If professa X wants for university purpose   Go laptop ..

Where did he mention he currently has a laptop? I sure don't see it here on this thread, it's either you're referencing things off another topic or going off context.

Anyhow, if you didn't realise already what you're saying actually aligns with what John said and I agree with that. I just said your post was irrelevant as you were repeating what John said. Well I think you implied that laptop isn't desktop replacement if not, then I got no freakin what you actually mean.

Also your logic is flawed, it's not a debate about Desktop PC vs Laptop. It's like what John said about how Laptop isn't a Desktop/Server replacement, this applies the other way around. I own a Desktop PC, Laptop, Tablet and Smart Phone, each has their own usage. You can't compare them... Period! Even if you can do everything on one device, it may be inconvenience for some usage scenarios.

On another note, it's also preference, some people prefer having one laptop that is a desktop replacement. So you can't really judge, as it's not really your money that you're spending. Since who gives a fuck about what people buy online. You can buy a Macbook or whatever, I don't judge since I don't care.

Comparing KG is not point ..U cant travel from home to university along with desktop PC

You actually can travel with my PC, it has a handle bar for just that! :P

I actually have taken my PC to many different places, (LAN parties, friends, school etc). It's just inconvenient.

• Like 1

Well anyways, getting back on topic. You really need to give us some kind of budget, also I did recommend you wait around til there is a sale or a really good deal online before making the purchase. Assuming you don't need the new laptop right away and have a lot of time to browse. I actually waited 2 months before buying my laptop as there wasn't any good deals. I just got lucky and managed what I'm using now for a decent price.

I really don't have a recommendation, as what you stated as your requirements conflicts a lot with each other. For example:

Many people actually don't realise that to watch anime in the highest possible quality setting you actually need a high end desktop PC. Like insanely powerful. MadVR has this scaling algorithm that is actually more better than the Jinc3 that most people recommend. It's called NNEDI3. Comparison

Anyhow the point is, your laptop most likely won't be able to handle it unless you have a GTX 970M or 980M. My Nvidia GTX 680 can't handle NNEDI3 maxed out at 64 neurons for all scalers. It literally takes up 90-99% of my GPU usage and VRAM memory to render with NNEDI3.

So there you have it. Your only option is really a powerful gaming laptop, if you want to experience the best quality for watching anime or any content for that matter (downscaling or upscaling content of course).

• Like 2