Robotics;Notes encode video comparison

Hark0n

Yet another video comparison with small and hard to notice differences in video quality.

Episode 01:

____________JP-BD___________vs_________Yousei-raws_________vs__________WhyNot____________

S9WA15a.jpg mjvspJh.jpg Ev8MetD.jpg

BKsbxLf.jpg roX6eU9.jpg Djk88bJ.jpg

cMWQDFn.jpg acikPKy.jpg 8JIrrEh.jpg

16oe1ri.jpg VMK4pdz.jpg 0WhR4CV.jpg

pCKBYxv.jpg JepA9kN.jpg NHjrYJR.jpg

6yVphPl.jpg jmF83WV.jpg qXBe5av.jpg

yq7eeJH.jpg OCO9gmq.jpg pdL6mYi.jpg

p4o2Bxj.jpg J6RqJrP.jpg jxq4a1Z.jpg

Screenshot gallery link: http://someimage.com/8mB9 (note that the picture order in gallery is different - WhyNot, JP-BD, Yousei-raws)

Episode 03:

(for action scene)

____________JP-BD___________vs_________Yousei-raws_________vs__________WhyNot____________

ltAJomT.jpg L4ayEYC.jpg 48BhTgq.jpg

2TsW2C7.jpg 6pDczP1.jpg 0XTEpy4.jpg

uK7c2Wk.jpg sdwOUhp.jpg 4DzdSPu.jpg

bhK1Y5P.jpg sNTuBPq.jpg BNF4E3N.jpg

Screenshot gallery link: http://someimage.com/zCIO (note that the picture order in gallery is different - WhyNot, JP-BD, Yousei-raws)

All screenshots taken with AvsPmod 2.5.1 using ffms2_FFVideoSource. JP-BD remux used in place of JP-BD.

EDIT: Episode 03 screenshots added.

Edited by Hark0n
  • Like 1

I noticed on the first look that whynot is sharpened so I wouldn't call it a small and hard to notice difference.

I was referring to some comments I got in previous comparison.

Still, the first screenshot is not sharpened for some reason (or at least text looks blurry), while the others are.

I noticed on the first look that whynot is sharpened so I wouldn't call it a small and hard to notice difference.

I was referring to some comments I got in previous comparison.

Still, the first screenshot is not sharpened for some reason (or at least text looks blurry), while the others are.

Text is blurry because it was fixed with antialiasing. Its possible to select only credits when filtering also sharpening was most likely done with edge mask.

I'm no expert but I don't see a significant difference. I'm not sure if the extra file size is worth it at 500-600 MB larger for each episode. Of course, it also saves me extra work :)

I will wait for some other opinions. I've gotta watch the Cavs-Bulls game right now anyway (and get drunk) so I'm not going to be working on it :P

And thanks for the comparisons as always Hark0n.

Edited by deanzel

Yousei-raws looks best to me. I prefer encodes that are as close to source as possible, and I loathe releases that have messed with hard subbed text. WhyNot also has the generic detail loss... But is Yousei-raws release worth the apparent 500MB extra? Probably not.

The more important question for me is: is Robotics;Notes in any way comparable to Steins;Gate in terms of entertainment value?

Well, it looks like I'll just stick with WhyNot. I do see the better video quality but the WhyNot 1080p encode is already pretty big in addition to adding the English 5.1 24-bit FLAC track. An extra 500-600MB per episode would be entering Tenshi territory. I've finished and uploaded up to Episode 7, so feel free to download them and check them out *cough QC cough*.

As for the show itself, it's solid imo. Obviously it doesn't stand up to S;G but what really does?

And I've just realized that Hark0n loves to download the JP source for comparisons as well. I always wondered why it always took so long :P

[deanzel] Robotics;Notes [bD 1080p Hi10p Dual Audio FLAC] - MEGA Folder

[deanzel] Robotics;Notes [bD 720p Hi10p Dual Audio AAC] - MEGA Folder

And I've just realized that Hark0n loves to download the JP source for comparisons as well. I always wondered why it always took so long :P

I wouldn't say that I love to downloading JP-BD sources, but it is necessary for viable comparison, otherwise it would be hard to objectively judge each encode. And I am only downloading sources for stuff that is fairly easy to get.

Also, what takes long? Downloading JP-BD sources or me making comparisons?