Ethernet/Wi-Fi Problem?

Kid Ryan

Does anyone here know why our PC loses internet connection when I plug the ethernet cable into our Xfinity Wireless Gateway?

The Wi-Fi does work, and when the Comcast technician connected his laptop to our internet via ethernet, he got impressive speeds.

System Info:
PC Model: HP 110-326 Desktop
CPU: Intel Pentium G2030T @ 2.60 GHz
RAM: 4.0 GB
Video: Intel HD Graphics
HDD: 500 GB

Edited by Toddler Naruto

what he is implying (i think) is that you havent given enough information for someone to effectively help you so lets go over the basics, it appears from what limited informations you gave that your comcast tech guy is able to connect via ethernet so is your computer configured to use ethernet? is the NIC on your computer still functional and is it the computer that loses net or is it the gateway that does? that would help alot

• 2 weeks later...

At the very least it's worth testing with.

Also try updating your Ethernet drivers and a different network cable.

You may also want to see if there's an available update to the software on the router and that it's getting enough power. Is your games console plugged in via Ethernet or on the Wi-Fi?

• 4 weeks later...

I went ahead and bought an USB 2.0 Wired Ethernet Network adapter, so far it's working perfectly. Heck, my connection actually improved from 6 mBps to 8 mBps after I switched from wi-fi to ethernet.

I would still like to fix the PC's built-in Ethernet Network Adapter though, so I don't have to rely on the USB Adapter.

4369660844.png

Edited by Toddler Naruto

may be your pc's ethernet driver isn't yet fully compatible with windows 8.1. did you try updating the driver via device manager. outdated drivers would make such a mess. better check the driver's release date. usually you can find them in your manufactures website. if there is a newer version try that. even if the ethernet cable has an issue it will cost speeds. transferring data via usb always runs slow.

may be your pc's ethernet driver isn't yet fully compatible with windows 8.1. did you try updating the driver via device manager. outdated drivers would make such a mess. better check the driver's release date. usually you can find them in your manufactures website. if there is a newer version try that. even if the ethernet cable has an issue it will cost speeds. transferring data via usb always runs slow.

I've already uninstalling and re-installing the driver, as well as rolling back the driver, nothing changed.

Any other helpful tips I could attempt?

Your info is kind of vague so I am going to make a guess on what your meaning.

Are you saying that you get internet when using Wifi but not when using ethernet?

If thats the case I would check your Network Interface Card aka NIC driver and make sure its correctly installed and or updated. That kind of issue can either be a network card problem from a driver not being correct or correctly installed, a bad network card, or it can also be your settings as well.

If your using Windows, check your device manager to see if there are any issues with drivers and hardware.

NOTE: Windows 8.1 is notorious for not being compatible with alot of hardwares because the drivers from the manufacturers have not been updated to work with it yet.

If that's the reason your having a problem then your probly shit out of luck if its a real old card. (Manufacturers usually drop support for older things after so many years) If thats the case, you will have to wait for an update if yours is not already updated (I would check if it is because if it isnt, then update it now) or you can get a newer NIC.

Edited by DarkDream787

I've already updating the NIC driver, uninstalling and re-installing the NIC driver, as well as rolling back the NIC driver, nothing changed.

So how much do NICs cost, and more importantly, which ones would be compatible with my PC? I assume there are various different makes and models.

I've already updating the NIC driver, uninstalling and re-installing the NIC driver, as well as rolling back the NIC driver, nothing changed.

So how much do NICs cost, and more importantly, which ones would be compatible with my PC? I assume there are various different makes and models.

the issue is using device manager to check for new updates won't work always. sometimes microsofts's driver database won't have the latest driver since the lack of popularity of the manufacture of your ethernet. just find out what's your ethernet's manufacture (usually gigabit, realtek) just find out and then just get the latest driver through their website.

well if that doesn't work then you can always buy a NIC. it doesn't matter what manufacture it is from. pretty much all of them are configured to go around 100 mbps up/down. they are pretty cheap.

Edited by Harry-Potter

When the ethernet cable is plugged in, do you see any lights blinking next to the port?  This probably isn't the problem, but is the adapter enabled in the Network and Sharing Center in the Control Panel?

I've already tried these methods.

1.) I updated the ethernet driver to the latest version via both Windows Update and manufacturer's site.

2.) I tested the modem/router combo and the exact same cable (they work fine when connected to my PS3 and another PC).

3.) I made sure the wi-fi was disabled first before I enabled the ethernet adapter in Network and Sharing Center. That's how I know it keeps switching between "Connected" and "Unplugged Cable".

So it has to be an issue with the physical NIC card, what else could it be, right?