Anyone into J-Drama or K-Drama?

EmperorPenguin

Ever since I've been watching Anime, I've taken an interest into almost all things Japanese; Music, Manga, Video Games, Movies. However I've always stayed away from the Television shows as I've never really bothered to fully endorse  the culture.

Other the years I've found myself looking into other forms of Asian entertainment, So it's probably not a surprise that with K-Pop being in the mainstream light bigger and brighter than ever before people are more and more interested into the culture of Korea, myself included.

Recently I've been looking into the ever popular world of J-Drama and K-Drama and was wondering if anybody else had started to dive into the world of Asian entertainment, and could provided an insight into the world and perhaps recommend useful places to go about searching, I previously and still continue to enjoy watching Asian horrors especially that which are Japanese and Korean, So I only think it's about time I dive deeper into the world I'm missing.

I'm not interested (understated) in Korean stuff of any shape or form. Korean girly pretentious boys are eyesores. When a bunch of these sissies are on stage, it's quite a ridiculous and embarrassing sight. Korean drama ???? If you think anime with lots of fillers is bad, I can't even imagine how you could stomach K-Drama - little to no substance, horrible acting, stupid dialogues, and dull repugnant characters. How do I know these things about K stuff? Inadvertent experience.

If you want to dive into Asian Entertainment, start with China/Hong Kong movies/series and music. I mostly like the music that accompanies the motion pictures. Watch Red Cliff (part 1 and 2), Three Kingdoms (2010), Sha Po Long (Kill Zone), The Warlords, White Vengeance, IP Man (1 and 2)... They's phenomenal. K stuff never even comes close to compare with these master pieces.

Edited by ounce

I personally don't have a problem with the appearance of any male Korean singers/dancer you have to remember K-Pop and J-Pop are both based around very bright and colorful in your face visuals and fashion. Just like in the Western world you have the likes of R&B or Metal which only appeals to certain people the same can be said about K-Pop. Also if you take a step back from the mainstream light you can really discover some great bands and musicians take the rock groups Nell and Loveholic (Closing single for Black Blood Brothers) for example.   

I also don't mind select filler episodes as some can be entertaining not many but a few, plus I do watch both American and British drama so I'm use to the needless long winded dragged out explanation of plots in the stories and character development, each to their own liking I guess.

I have drove into the world of Chinese music thanks to the likes of; 24Herbs (Sleeping Dogs), Mayday and Frosty Eve, just to list a few. I have also watched Red Cliff, Three Kingdoms and Ip Man all great for any martial arts fan. I wasn't comparing as it's all down to your own personal interests, I was more interested if anyone was a fan.

I personally don't have a problem with the appearance of any male Korean singers/dancer you have to remember K-Pop and J-Pop are both based around very bright and colorful in your face visuals and fashion. Just like in the Western world you have the likes of R&B or Metal which only appeals to certain people the same can be said about K-Pop. Also if you take a step back from the mainstream light you can really discover some great bands and musicians take the rock groups Nell and Loveholic (Closing single for Black Blood Brothers) for example.   

Sorry to break it to you, I'm not fond of mainstream music either, Western or not; in fact, I don't like it at all. I just like trailer music and some music that accompanies motion pictures. I'm not a music addict with a pair of earplugs stuck to my ears for a prolonged period of time. Stuff I like is far cry from what would be considered mainstream, and I don't particularly like any musician, band, or genre. I don't know about J-things except anime, but Korean emphasizing the visual over the music itself in performing music is pretty ridiculous. A bunch of girly effeminate boys trying to transform into half-male half-female hookers on stage? That must be quite an aesthetic visual. Really, they have no show, sucking at music; and they're not exactly trained for performing either. They're not dancers nor circuit performers. What have they got? A plastic appearance for a population that has developed to consider freaks as men.

Edited by ounce

I'm not going to disagree with you as your entitled to your opinion on the subject, but you can't deny that as an entertainment business K-Pop knows that using bight and colorful over the top visualisations, mixed with feminine looking males equals serious amounts of cash in the back pocket. Proof that this grabs peoples attention is that the female group 2NE1 have been signed with an American contract by the Will.i.am Music Group.

Can I ask do you have a problem with anyone female that is a Korean singer/dancer/actor? You seem to vent about how the males are all feminine, are you just that against all the over the top make-up on males? You must seriously dislike the whole New Romanticism.            

No, I don't have a problem with females; at least, I can't think of one at the moment. It's more natural for them to do what they do than for males. It seems that those Korean males always try to mimic some aspects and nuances of female as if they think it's classy. Well, it's not. I don't know where the heck this thinking of male being effeminate as classy comes from; but it's DEBASING. It also worms its way into a lot of anime, especially shojou. It's seriously disgusting, an embarrassment to anyone caught watching it.

Edited by ounce

I understand what you mean, what I don't understand at least when it comes to music is the fact that in one music video someone like Lady GaGa or Katy Perry for example can change outfits and wigs like ten times in the space of three minutes. Now I know that if this was a film or television show then this would perfectly explain the passage of time/day, and I fully get that in a music video the illusion of time doesn't quite work the same, but the sad reality is that the world is just infatuated with fashion and "looking good". Now mixed this with the whole propaganda towards the gay life style and world of fashion and metrosexuality you have the perfect combination of a man that can very easily be effeminate and if you say anything deemed offensive you are fully in the wrong.

I've seen a couple of jdramas, some of which I actually really enjoyed.

Shiroi Haru, My Boss My Hero, Rookies, Taisetsu na Koto wa Subete Kimi ga Oshiete Kureta and of course, Densha Otoko were all, pretty entertaining.

I don't really watch many jdramas anymore though, just cause it's hard to find a jdrama with an interesting story. Most are medical or crime scene/detective or steretypical romance dramas, which I find incredibly boring.

Regarding movies, though I thoroughly enjoyed Battle Royale(japanese) and the Man from Nowhere(Korean)

• 1 year later...

I do enjoy J-dramas! I'm not much for Korean pop or K-dramas though. I have a friend whose obsessed with K-pop, and I will watch the links she sends me but it's just not my thing. There are a few exceptions I suppose.. like Psy's Gangham Style, or Baby Vox's game over. It seems like a lot of K-pop focuses too much on the look of the music videos than on the sound? As for K-dramas, I can't catch anyone's name.. I'm just not as used to Korean as I am to Japanese. I have watched some Chinese dramas where I had the same problem but still enjoyed them.. so I'm not opposed to the idea of watching a K-drama down the line.

That being said, I don't watch nearly enough J-dramas as I should.

• 2 months later...

It's all started when Erika Toda a one that portrayed for Misa in the Death Note Live-Film, to call this a bit awkward to say but I decided to look it up since she's attractive. I've checked one of her drama series which is Nobuta wo produce along with Maki Horikita (which she's attractive imo) with two other actor's with their main role. Watched the series and got hooked to J-Drama. As long it's involved the actor/actess's that I know, then I would check the other series. That was 8 years ago back when I enter a first year of college. I somehow stopped two years after that, I don't know what makes me stop.

I kind of tried to bother checking out K-Drama's due to attractive actress's, but not really much.

• 2 months later...

I've only managed to watch like 3 K-Dramas like 5 years ago that appealed to me then. Now I've wanted to get into the historical type ones now. I tried watching the original J-Version of a K-drama I watched and did not enjoy it at all. Will probably give one of the suggestions a try soon.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I'm love Asian drama. K-drama, J-drama, Chinese drama, Thai drama.  

I just finished Descendants of the Sun on Dramafever.  I've begun watching Miss Hammurabi and also Moonshine and Valentine.  Others I've seen is Cheese in the trap, Hyde, Jekyll and I, Behind Your Smile, Healer, Bromance...and many others.

I also watch drama on Viki, KissAsian and Kocowa. The last 3 have ads, but I pay the yearly fee for DramaFever so I can watch without ads. I found DF costs a lot less yearly than the other 3.

• 2 months later...

I'm currently watching "A Poem A Day', so far I'm liking it.  Update for Moonshine and Valentine, I did not enjoy that one as much as I thought I would.  I didn't like the ending at all.  I'm waiting for DramaFever to pick up Lawless Lawyer and a few others so I can watch them without commercial interruption; hopefully they will do it soon.  I also want to watch Voices 2.  The first season was great.  My first J-Drama was Mischievous Kiss and Mischievous Kiss too.  It was a decent remake of the Korean version.