PS3 and PS4 finally get Plex, and a whole world of streaming

StaticX

plexps4.jpg

When Plex first arrived on the Xbox One, we figured it would only be a matter of time before the service made its debut on the PlayStation 4. It's taken two months, but finally the company has released an app for Sony's latest console, giving Plex Pass subscribers another way to stream their favorite shows and movies on their TV. It's begun rolling out in Europe and Asia, but we suspect it'll reach the US PlayStation Store soon enough.

Plex, if you're not aware, relies on server software managed from your PC or Mac to organise your personal media collection and make it available for streaming on multiple devices with detailed, visual listings. Today's release adds the PS4 to this growing roster of secondary hardware, which already includes smartphones, tablets and a range of set-top boxes such as Amazon's Fire TV. Consoles are an increasingly popular choice for streamers these days though, so it's no surprise that Plex has made them its next priority. The Xbox One was once positioned as an all-in-one entertainment system, but it's hard for any developer to ignore the PlayStation 4's dominance of the console market right now.

Update: Plex has announced the app for both PS3 and PS4. It's available now across Europe and Asia, with US availability coming "in the near future."

Source

http://www.engadget.com/2014/12/17/plex-playstation-4-app/

Finally!!

>http://youtu.be/07l18DeHMgg

• Like 1

Well I wouldn't really mind using Plex if it wasn't closed source/proprietary and aimed at the low technical skill end of the market. The developers are not too keen on releasing a more advance build or adding advance settings for users. Another issue is that even though you say it's free, which is true for the most part it isn't free when it comes to iOS and Android when it comes to a legal way of obtaining the client app. Unless you're on premium subscription which means it's not free anymore...

Plex is great for anything other than anime, as you people know the anime fansub and encoding scene is quite high skilled compared to "other" scenes. We have high quality styled fansubbing with proper typesetting and title/positioning. That definitely does not work on Plex, all the hard work those people put into making your subs nice will get reverted to some shitty font and it is not rendered properly.

Personally I find Universal Media Server which is forked from the open source PS3 Media Server to be a lot better when it comes to transcoding. What you see on the original content is what you get, which is what it should've been like on Plex. It also supports a lot more decoders such as avisynth/ffmpeg, MEncoder, VLC and etc.

/end of quick rant

TL;DR version:

UMS > Plex

Well I wouldn't really mind using Plex if it wasn't closed source/proprietary and aimed at the low technical skill end of the market. The developers are not too keen on releasing a more advance build or adding advance settings for users. Another issue is that even though you say it's free, which is true for the most part it isn't free when it comes to iOS and Android when it comes to a legal way of obtaining the client app. Unless you're on premium subscription which means it's not free anymore...

Plex is great for anything other than anime, as you people know the anime fansub and encoding scene is quite high skilled compared to "other" scenes. We have high quality styled fansubbing with proper typesetting and title/positioning. That definitely does not work on Plex, all the hard work those people put into making your subs nice will get reverted to some shitty font and it is not rendered properly.

Personally I find Universal Media Server which is forked from the open source PS3 Media Server to be a lot better when it comes to transcoding. What you see on the original content is what you get, which is what it should've been like on Plex. It also supports a lot more decoders such as avisynth/ffmpeg, MEncoder, VLC and etc.

/end of quick rant

TL;DR version:

UMS > Plex

LOL, use UMS if you like fucking around with the menu on your PS3 :P

LOL, use UMS if you like fucking around with the menu on your PS3 :P

As far as I concern, original > modified. UMS is more true to everything in terms of video, audio and subtiles quality, so whatever man. Besides it works fine for me, granted I haven't used my PS3 in since forever, but works excellent on low end hardware such as old android phones, media centres and whatever is supported by DLNA.

Oh I don't stream to my TV, I have a HTPC that only cost less than $300 if you don't count the extra HDDs I putted on it. Even plays games such as Bioshock Infinite at 1080p maxed out.

Edited by ZeroPenguins

Fucking hilarious, I guess you use Linux as well? I find it fucking funny when Linux people gloat over their OS for streaming shit and they have their PCs set up in a Mouse Trap boardgame like fashion lol

Linux fans are no better than schoolyard bullies, they team up with other linux users and bully windows users, but then when they need something from Windows, they act all sorry and promise it won't happen again.

Fucking hilarious, I guess you use Linux as well? I find it fucking funny when Linux people gloat over their OS for streaming shit and they have their PCs set up in a Mouse Trap boardgame like fashion lol

Linux fans are no better than schoolyard bullies, they team up with other linux users and bully windows users, but then when they need something from Windows, they act all sorry and promise it won't happen again.

HA! I bet you didn't see this coming, I use Windows you useless stereotyping bitch! Any true Linux fans do not bully Windows users, in fact a lot of them even run Windows machines but seeing you live under a rock you obviously wouldn't know. Look at JohnFlower for example, has he ever said Windows was shit? He's a vivid Linux user. The only type of people who gloat over and bully Windows users are those users like you who are obviously not educated enough to realise why you can use bother OSes at the same time. I would bet you're the type of users who would bully Windows users, if you knew how to use Linux, but seeing you're an idiot I don't see that happening anytime soon.

TL:DR:

You're a fucking moron and who gives a fuck.

P.S. If you don't know how to setup UMS, don't be a bitch. Even a child could set it up. So I pity you and feel sorry for you.