madVR vs Haali vs Custom MPC-HD setting

BluerGost

Hi, for a while now I was trying to set my MPC in madVR & I think I have set everything right. But even then the video lags at the time of playback. Specially in Full Screen Mode. I did try setting the madVR couple of times thinking its probably lagging since I messed up the installation process. But nothing helped. So, I think its probably becoz my Hardware is not strong enough. Which was a surprise, I never knew video playback took so much Hardware power.

But I dont even know  the benefit of using madVR . AFAIK it can play 10bit video which most of the recent anime release coming out in. But is the default setting in MPC cant render video in 10bit. Does they have to convert the file in to 8bit before playback or something??

I saw that couple of ppl suggesting Haali if your PC cant work with madVR. after I set the MPC setting in Haali it works fine. But I wanted to see what the difference between the picture quality of madVR, Haali & Custom MPC-HD setting. So I took 3 snapshot of the same Image in 3 of this setting. The madVR & Haali looks similar but  Custom one looks rather different. But I cant actually tell if the madVR & Haali looked better than the custom one. Coustom one  had more brightness. But is it a good thing or bad thing. How did this scene is supposed to look like originally !!??

Here is the 3 SC I took. I put the settings name into the description . Click Here

So here is my questions:

1)What do you think is the reason behind the lagging.

2)Is the Haali & madVR image quality really better than Custom one.

BTW here is my Hardware info:

CPU:AMD-6100(fx)

RAM:4GB DDR3

GPU:AMD-5450

It's likely that your hardware can't handle madVR. Try setting all scaling algorithms to billinear, don't use image doubling, check options from "trade quality for performance", and run on fullscreen exclusive mode.

To get the most of madVR you need at least a 750ti or an R7 260x and probably a better CPU. Video playback does not require much computing power but when filters and scaling is involved it's an entirely different situation. I don't think there's a GPU in the market that has enough horsepower to fully utilize all of madVR's features. Not even the Titan Black and the Titan Z.

Also, stock/vanilla MPC-HC with EVR can play 10-bit videos just fine.

Edited by Valkexia

Hi, for a while now I was trying to set my MPC in madVR & I think I have set everything right. But even then the video lags at the time of playback. Specially in Full Screen Mode. I did try setting the madVR couple of times thinking its probably lagging since I messed up the installation process. But nothing helped. So, I think its probably becoz my Hardware is not strong enough. Which was a surprise, I never knew video playback took so much Hardware power.

But I dont even know  the benefit of using madVR . AFAIK it can play 10bit video which most of the recent anime release coming out in. But is the default setting in MPC cant render video in 10bit. Does they have to convert the file in to 8bit before playback or something??

I saw that couple of ppl suggesting Haali if your PC cant work with madVR. after I set the MPC setting in Haali it works fine. But I wanted to see what the difference between the picture quality of madVR, Haali & Custom MPC-HD setting. So I took 3 snapshot of the same Image in 3 of this setting. The madVR & Haali looks similar but  Custom one looks rather different. But I cant actually tell if the madVR & Haali looked better than the custom one. Coustom one  had more brightness. But is it a good thing or bad thing. How did this scene is supposed to look like originally !!??

Here is the 3 SC I took. I put the settings name into the description . Click Here

So here is my questions:

1)What do you think is the reason behind the lagging.

2)Is the Haali & madVR image quality really better than Custom one.

BTW here is my Hardware info:

CPU:AMD-6100(fx)

RAM:4GB DDR3

GPU:AMD-5450

It's likely that your hardware can't handle madVR. Try setting all scaling algorithms to billinear, don't use image doubling, check options from "trade quality for performance", and run on fullscreen exclusive mode.

To get the most of madVR you need at least a 750ti or an R7 260x and probably a better CPU. Video playback does not require much computing power but when filters and scaling is involved it's an entirely different situation. I don't think there's a GPU in the market that has enough horsepower to fully utilize all of madVR's features. Not even the Titan Black and the Titan Z.

Also, stock/vanilla MPC-HC with EVR can play 10-bit videos just fine.

One acronym for both of you:

VLC

I'm so embarrassed to be here... Just to be helpful, use this guide

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=516729

Edited by Get Rekt

Or uninstall everything and install kcp(kawaii codec pack). It does the whole mpc-hc with madvr settings for u. Hereses the link: http://haruhichan.com/forum/showthread.php?7545-KCP-Kawaii-Codec-Pack

Ya, I did it seems my PC only can withstand Low settings :( .

If his PC isn't powerful enough to utilise madVR to a decent level, there is no point having it installed. With MPC-HC, there is also no reason to have any codec pack installed.

Can MPC play 10bit?? I used to think u need to install a separate codec to play all video format in MPC. In your opinion what would be the decent level. But wouldnt using Haali be better than just MPC??

A setting is working with your PC if there is no Drop-frames & Delay at the time of playback right. I noticed a status in the Display stat called Presentation Glitches. What does it mean & is it suppose to increase at the time of playback??

Last thing I wanted to know. Whats the benefit of using madVR.  Ya, I know it can play 10bit but if that were the case it wouldnt take so much Hardware power . I mean wither a video is good or not it depends on the encode but how madVR helps to make it better.

-Sorry for asking so many question but I cant help it :P

The 'playing' should be done by your video codecs (hopefully LAV Filters). MPC-HC comes with LAV Filters as default now, so it can play everything out of the box.

My 'decent level' is Jinc3 + anti-ringing for both chroma and image upscaling and Lanczos4 + anti-ringing for image downscaling.

'Presentation glitches are more or less out of my control. These are glitches caused by Direct3D and/or the GPU drivers. madVR just reports those. Modifying the flush settings can sometimes help, as you reported. I would expect the default flush settings to work, though. In any case there's not much I can do here. I simply don't have any control over presentation glitches.' --madshi

In it a nutshell: it's a GPU accelerated upscaler and deinterlacer. If you don't watch a lot of interlaced or sub-720p anime, there isn't much benefit in you using it.

madVR has a set of scaling algorithms it uses to make things look better at higher and sometimes lower resolutions. As you should already know, these algorithms are processed by the GPU, therefore passing off some of the rendering load. The algorithms are also noticeably better than your generic fast bicubic scaler.

You don't use madVR to 'play' your video. You should be using LAV Filters.

• 3 weeks later...

I spent years looking for the perfect setup and stuff, always plagued by framerate issues and random micro lags. Turns out the simple things are sometimes the best. Here's my solution:

Use the latest MPC-HC (32bit!) without any codec pack at all, uninstall any codec pack. (Over the last years MPC-HC was able to play everything just fine for me without any codec pack at all: 10bit, mkv, softsubs, everything). Adding any codec packs only makes things worse in my opinion.

Set up madVR and switch MPC-HC's output to madVR (Settings->Playback->Output).

Important part: to eliminate random micro-stutter enable smooth motion in madVR's settings (rendering->smooth motion).

For the scaling algorithms just use what fits your hardware/needs. This also influences the image quality you get with madVR when viewing material that is not equal to your screen's resolution.

Make sure madVR uses 'automatic fullscreen exclusive mode' (rendering->general settings).

Always switch your desired screen to exclusive mode (single video output) before starting playback with madVR, if you have more than 1 screen otherwise madVR's attempts to sync the output will be for naught.

But it could be possible your GPU (AMD 5450) is insufficient. madVR draws much GPU power. I use a GTX 660 which has way more power.

madVR (+ its smooth motion) does get rid of any lagging I might experience otherwise (especially for panning scenes). I know of no other software that is capable of this. I've tried all other players & renderers on Windows and Linux I could find over the recent years. No other renderer or setting is able to eliminate this unpredictable random micro stutter. From what I've experienced it's not an issue of caching/performance of the player, it's just bad syncing on the pipeline Renderer->Driver->GPU->Screen. madVR tries to compensate exactly this.