Persona 5

Kenzou

• 5 months later...

I am LOVING this phantom thief / cat burglar theme. I am just curious what we're stealing, who we're stealing from, and why? Either way, I really enjoy this gray-area morality they have going on. I'm assuming that they're stealing from bad people, or maybe they're just bored and like the adventure of it all. I don't see them as "bad" thieves, if that makes any sense. Not that stealing is a good thing. I know, I'm not making any sense right now. I just like that these kids seem a little rough around the edges. They're like juvenile delinquents, and that's pretty cool and refreshing.

Man, they sure fooled us with the first teaser, the one with just the MC. He just seemed like an introverted and/or melancholic dude with glasses. But now we're seeing him for real, and he seems plenty charismatic and badass, if a little crazy. 

But omg you guys, the new Velvet Room is a prison! And Igor's new assistants are cute little prison guards! And holy shit, what do you guys think about the menu designs? I almost cried tears of joy because I'm a sucker for well-designed game menus. And the ransom-note text everywhere, and that snazzy music! That was the most stylish game trailer I've ever seen. Haha.

Now, we still have a lot of questions. What's the actual plot? What supernatural force are we going up against this time, and how do our characters get involved? Are there more than just four party members? What mythology are we pulling from this time? Will the MC have the Wild Card ability or will they all have it? Or will no one have it? I'm sure the MC's arcana is The Fool, but what about the other party members?

I can go on and on, but I'll stop here for now with a picture I found of the MC and what I'm assuming is his Persona.

P5KeyVisual.jpg

Edited by Apollo

• 2 weeks later...

I still need to play the previous games myself...should I play the original PS2 Persona 4, or wait until I have a Vita and play Golden version?

PS2 Persona 4 FTW

Ok this guy has absolutely no idea what he's talking about and most likely has never even played P4G. Persona 4 Golden has so many great extras, routes, Marie, better system, etc. compared to the original and you can play it anywhere. You can also get a used Vita for dirt cheap. And while you're at it, download Persona 3 Portable from PSN and play that on your Vita as well.

Edited by deanzel
  • Like 3

Thanks deanzel. I think I'll play the PS2 digital version on my PS3 for now, but as soon as I can afford a Vita, I'll definitely replay it via Golden version.

That works out fine as well. If you are also planning on playing Persona 3 as well (you definitely should), I'd actually recommend that you play it first before P4. P4 improves on the battle system and many other things so some don't appreciate P3 as much if they play it after P4. However, I played P3P (Persona 3 Portable) after P4G and I still god damn loved it. Mitsuru ftw.

• Like 2

Thanks deanzel. I think I'll play the PS2 digital version on my PS3 for now, but as soon as I can afford a Vita, I'll definitely replay it via Golden version.

That works out fine as well. If you are also planning on playing Persona 3 as well (you definitely should), I'd actually recommend that you play it first before P4. P4 improves on the battle system and many other things so some don't appreciate P3 as much if they play it after P4. However, I played P3P (Persona 3 Portable) after P4G and I still god damn loved it. Mitsuru ftw.

I second this! I played P4 before P3 and was slightly frustrated by a few things in P3 because of that. They were little things, like not being able to get around as quickly (P3 lacks the square button shortcuts) and not being able to control my party members ("Damn it, Mitsuru! Stop using Marin Karin!"). I quickly got over it, though, and loved P3 just as much as P4! I definitely recommend both games as they are both so amazing I can't even begin to put it into words. And I've replayed both quite a few times!

I can't speak for P4G yet because I still don't have a Vita (when I do finally get a Vita I'm totally playing P4G right away), but it's obviously the superior version. But if you're not getting a Vita anytime soon, I think playing the PS2 versions of both P3 and P4 is the way to go. And when you get a Vita, you can replay them via P3P and P4G. By the way, P3P is amazing (I played it on PSP). They even have a female protagonist you can choose to get different social links and slight changes here and there throughout the story.

The only thing about P3P is, you don't get the "full" experience of Persona 3. The dungeon-crawling is exactly the same, but navigation through your school, dorm, the city, etc. was simplified to a point-and-click style, it lacks the cutscenes, and all your social links, conversations, events, etc. were simplified to a visual novel style. Don't get me wrong, all of this is totally okay! It's nice and streamlined. And P3P fixed the battle system, so now you can control all your party members. And they added the square button shortcuts like in P4. But I'm still glad that I played the PS2 version first before I replayed it via P3P. And it was cool because I had the male MC in the PS2 version and then picked the female MC in P3P, so I was able to see both sides. So I definitely recommend playing both versions (P3 and P3P).

Edited by Apollo
  • Like 2

I second this! I played P4 before P3 and was slightly frustrated by a few things in P3 because of that. They were little things, like not being able to get around as quickly (P3 lacks the square button shortcuts) and not being able to control my party members ("Damn it, Mitsuru! Stop using Marin Karin!"). I quickly got over it, though, and loved P3 just as much as P4! I definitely recommend both games as they are both so amazing I can't even begin to put it into words. And I've replayed both quite a few times!

I can't speak for P4G yet because I still don't have a Vita (when I do finally get a Vita I'm totally playing P4G right away), but it's obviously the superior version. But if you're not getting a Vita anytime soon, I think playing the PS2 versions of both P3 and P4 is the way to go. And when you get a Vita, you can replay them via P3P and P4G. By the way, P3P is amazing (I played it on PSP). They even have a female protagonist you can choose to get different social links and slight changes here and there throughout the story.

The only thing about P3P is, you don't get the "full" experience of Persona 3. The dungeon-crawling is exactly the same, but navigation through your school, dorm, the city, etc. was simplified to a point-and-click style, it lacks the cutscenes, and all your social links, conversations, events, etc. were simplified to a visual novel style. Don't get me wrong, all of this is totally okay! It's nice and streamlined. And P3P fixed the battle system, so now you can control all your party members. And they added the square button shortcuts like in P4. But I'm still glad that I played the PS2 version first before I replayed it via P3P. And it was cool because I had the male MC in the PS2 version and then picked the female MC in P3P, so I was able to see both sides. So I definitely recommend playing both versions (P3 and P3P).

I like how you think :)

I only played P3P and I think that it's the superior version due to all the system changes (makes things slightly less of a grindfest), female MC and because I was able to watch all the cutscenes on YouTube ;)

The main thing that I missed was FES especially since I'm a huge Yukari fan (sue me). I just ended up watching the scenes on YouTube as well. Although, I've heard that it's beyond a grindfest,Yukari gets super bitchy (understandable imo) and just not very "fun". Still, more Persona is never a bad thing.

Edited by deanzel
  • Like 1