whats more important to you, gaming or story

sal42

I get that with games like the last of us coming out people have been craving games with a great story, but recently I've noticed that some of these people are split, they eather care more about the story or more about the gaming.  I have not played, 'The Last of US,' nor have I touched a single 'Uncharted' game, but I'ts mainly because I care more about the gameplay than anything alls really, If I'm playing a game I play to have fun, to enjoy myself, not to walk from cut seen to cut seen while shooting some zombies here and there.  At the risk of showing my egnorance I do think that one of the few that need a good story/plot are rpg games and the like.  Mainly because their mostly the same (grind, lvl up, beat boss) with a few tweeks in gameplay here and there.  Don't get me wrong I don't think they should stop making games that are more focoused on story than anything alls but I fear that with games like 'The Last of Us' getting such praise that it will start a domino effect and soon we will be seeing more companies focusing only on story.  Games will not even be games anymore, but visual stories you can play through.

Honestly, I like both gaming and story. A good game should have both, depending on what type of game it is. Visual novels are very fun, and those are almost exclusively story. Also you can have a something like AaAaA for the Awesome! (shortened title) and it has no story yet is still fun. Still, the best games are the ones with both, like Kingdoms of Amalur.

Anyways, I'd say just to take it on a game by game basis. Additionally, there are so many games now that you can easily pick and choose the ones that you want to play, whether they be story driven or gaming driven.

The two (story/gameplay) can coinside i'm sure, but what about the cutscenes that seem to plaug most games now a days, I'd rather play through the story in real time like Half Life' and not just sit there and watch while things happen.  For example I've picked up Valkeria Chronicles for the PS3 and in that game it preaty much requires you to watch the cutscenes or alls you can't move on.  It's a bit anoying since Valkeria Chronicles has so many cutscenes and before each one it actually askes you if you want to watch it after you've clicked on said cutscene(s) thats required in order to advance in the game.

There are good games outthere with a good mix of both, but with my short attention span I don't much care for it and would prefer games that focus on gameplay more than story, but thats just me.

Both, I don't mind if the story is simple or slow, as long as the story is interesting and keeps me wanting more, but the gamplay has to be good too.

If the story sucks but the game play is awesome, I won't want to play it.

Though I don't mind if the story is told by pixle characters, and speach bubles, since I am used to playing games before they had all those graphics and voice overs.

But some now adays fogoe story fo graphics and flashy moves, which I could are less about the flashynes if there is no story.

If the story is awesome, but the gamplay is too awkward, I will not play it ether

There are many ways it can become akward, like one buton doing to many things, or 5 special conditions on one action in a RPG battle.

It can be to much.

And some ways characters fight, move, react to atacks, ect, sometimes has perpous in the story and how the character is, which is good.

So I chose both story and gamplay, both are important for a good game.

• 2 weeks later...

Both are required, but if I had to sacrifice gameplay for story I wouldn't play it.

Gameplay is more important, thats what makes a game. Stories are mostly for movies and animes.

A lot of old games did not have much of a storyline but their gameplay is what made it great.

However, the best games need both gameplay and story, something that Naughty Dog does very well with the Uncharted series and

The Last Of Us.

There is an absolute minimum of both required for a game to even be worth playing.

But of the two, game play is more important. Story is great for one to three runs. Excellent game play mechanics is what makes games something you keep coming back to even years later for yet another run at some point.

I obviously would like to have both, but if i had to pick it would be story, because if you have a average story and great gameplay that game while maybe good you are aware its still a game. While if you have a great story and say average gameplay the story can completely make you forget that its even a game that your playing.

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

I would have to say both. There has been many a game I have dropped because the game enige was stupid, awkward or buggy but if the story is not appealing or doesn’t pull you into the game world than it is not enjoyable.

ocknu

I would also say both story and gameplay as well, but if I had to choose, I'd picked gameplay over story.  My reason being that a lot of the old classics are built off a simple game mechanic, like Tetris, pacman or space invaders, but they're still pretty fun to play today, and those don't really have any story at all. Isn't this why games like Minecraft or Angry Birds have become so popular?

Hell, gameplay is probably the only reason I still play JRPG's. The storyline's are pretty generic for the most part (spiky haired dude saves the world), but I love the different battle systems they all utilize.

• 2 weeks later...