Installing IRC client on the Windows platform

An IP BreAKDoWN

This thread is made for helping people be able to get setup and into the IRC channel for Kametsu on the Windows platform.

The first IRC client, and the preferred client with most IRC veterans is mIRC. Be forewarned, mIRC is not a free program. At time of posting it costs $20, but does come with a 30 day tiral. I don't recommend buying it if you are a first time user or just want to try out IRC, there are free alternatives below.

Step 1: Download the latest build, and install it.

kRK6x.png

I'd recommend a full installation, also checking for updates is recommended.

Step 2: Open mIRC, it will prompt you to register the software, please take the time to do so. If you are going to use the trial please hit "Continue" and proceed to step 3.

au4NR.png

Step 3: At this point mIRC will ask you to pick a nickname, it is not permanent even after you register the nickname (registering is covered in a different tutorial). I'd recommend using your forum username as to avoid confusion to who is who. The only limitations to a nickname is you can't use spaces and can't use unusual ASCII characters. Chances are if you don't know what ASCII is then you should be fine with what you choose. And obviously do NOT use An-IP-BreAKDoWN or something similar, use something else or you will be banned for mimicking nicks.

Vn3Iw.png

Step 4: By default mIRC will pick a random network to connect to, however #Kametsu is only on irc.xertion.org so we must change our default server to a Xertion server. Select "Servers" under "Connect" on the left, and click on "Add"

G5ri0.png

Step 5: Another window will pop up, this needs to be filled out since Xertion is a relatively small network and is not recognized by mIRC by default. The first thing you want to do is put "Xertion" under the Description, as this will help you keep this organized. Next under IRC Server: you need to put: "irc.xertion.org". You should use the default port, so under ports put: "6667". Lastly type in "Xertion" under Group as this will again keep this all organized. When you are done click on "Add".

OQiuH.png

Step 6: If you wish to make grabbing files easier I'd recommend using "auto-get". There is a risk that someone will send you something you may not want, but it is up to you to decide, if you don't want to use it you can ignore this step. Kametsu nor I will not accept responsibility for anything that is sent to you.

On the left there is "DCC". Click on that, and it'll open the option to change the send request. If you check the circle that says "Auto-get file" a warning window will open saying that there is a threat that something malicious may at anytime be downloaded. If you understand the risk and still wish to continue please hit "Yes", if you do not want to enable this feature or do not understand please continue to the next step.

mD8aj.png

Step 7: An automatic feature of mIRC that is enabled by default (for your protection) is to only allow the download of a certain file types. For downloading purposes we need to change these options (don't worry we'll keep you protected still ;))

So on the left hand corner expand "DCC" and select "Ignore". You wanna change it from "Accept only" to "Ignore only". And that is it, this will still offer some protection and can download a large range of different material.

ZTWQC.png

Step 8: Now you'll need to make sure you will connect to a Xertion server so click on "Servers" under "Connect" and expand the Xertion group (signified as a folder), and click on "Xertion" as shown in the picture below. Then click on "Select".

Y3chc.png

Step 9: Next you want to connect to the server. So on the left hit "Connect" option and hit the "Connect" button. You will then be connected to a Xertion server.

E0BSE.png

Step 10: After mIRC has connected you to the server you will be asked to join a channel. First thing you will need to do is click on "Add" on the right.

Y8p94.png

Step 11: One thing you need to know about channels is that you need to have a # in front of it no matter the name or how you are tying to join it. So to join Kametsu's channel you will always need to type: #Kametsu. So under Channel you will need to type "#Kametsu". Next click on "Join on connect". This will allow you to connect to #Kametsu automatically without having to type #Kametsu every time you connect to a Xertion server. Next click on "Add".

B8dra.png

Step 12: Since we added Xertion as a known network in step 5 we have the ability to allow channels to be automatically connected. So you will have to scroll down close to the bottom and find "Xertion" and click on it. Once you clicked on "Xertion" hit "OK".

WHHLb.png

Step 13: Verify that what you just did in step 11 and 12 were done correctly and make sure the add channel window looks just like what is displayed below. Once you verify that it looks correct you will need to hit "OK".

TOKjl.png

Step 14: Make sure #Kametsu is selected and uncheck "Pop up favorites on connect", this will make it so every time you connect to a network it will not pop open the list of favorite channels (personally I hate that window, and would rather use the /join #nameofchannel command while connected to a server). Next hit "Join" and you will then be connected to Kametsu's channel.

6Oej0.png

Congratulations you now can chat on Kametsu's official IRC channel!

However I'd take a minute to familiarize yourself with the different functions of mIRC.

KLrt4.png

So now that you have completed setting up mIRC, anytime you start mIRC all you need to do is make sure that the Xertion network is selected for you to connect to and hit connect.

GyR4o.png

If you are not connected to the Xertion network then go to "Connect" then to "Servers" and select the Xertion network as shown in step 8.

MISC: If you want to utilize mIRC better there is an option that lets you identify your nick automatically and once you learn more IRC client commands you can let mIRC do them for you. :) You should use this feature after you have completely registered your nick.

Step 16: First, open up Options by either opening Tools -> Options, or by hitting Alt+o (o as in oh)

Jdva4.png

Step 17: Expand "Connect", click on "Options" then click on "Perform..."

3wqvb.png

Step 18: Here you want to check mark "Enable perform on connect" (this is what makes life easy). Then type this: /msg NickServ IDENTIFY password. Obviously password will be the password you used to register your nickname on the Xertion network. Once you are done click on "OK".

xexDc.png

Step 19: Now hit "OK" to save the changes you made.

gNbwZ.png

Step 20: Next would be to close out of mIRC and test out what you changed by connecting to #Kametsu and see if it will auto identify your nick for you.

Remember mIRC has many many features that are hidden inside of the program and the more you research, the more you'll see that mIRC is one of the most superior (if not the most superior) IRC clients that one could use.

Edited by An IP BreAKDoWN
  • Like 1

This thread is made for helping people be able to get setup and into the IRC channel for Kametsu on the Windows platform.

The second IRC client, and "free" IRC client is HexChat (formally XChat-WDK). The reason I say "free" is that this is a ported version from the Linux family, and since XChat is open source its legal. Traditionally XChat is not free and costs $19.99, you can find that here. However if you are going to pay for an IRC client then I highly recommend mIRC since HexChat is a great free IRC client.

Step 1: Download the latest build, and install it.

(Just FYI all the pictures still show XChat-WDK, the same instructions still apply, so don't let the names confuse you!)

Njxuu.png

I'd recommend a normal installation, and do not make it portable unless you are going to use it on a flash drive.

Step 2: After installing HexChat you will be prompted a screen that will require you to enter your desired nick name, remember to only use normal ASCII characters and don't use any spaces. And obviously do NOT use An-IP-BreAKDoWN or something similar, use something else or you will be banned for mimicking nicks. Next click on "Add" and replace "New Network" with Xertion then hit the "Favor" button. After you completed all of that then hit "Edit...".

JhFHS.png

Step 3: Click on "newserver/6667" and hit "Edit". Here we need to connect to a Xertion server, so put irc.xertion.org/6667 in "newserver/6667"'s place. Hit enter to finalize the edit. Next you should enter a "Favorite channel" as this will let you auto connect to #Kametsu everytime you connect to the Xertion network. So hit the "...".

jEvzo.png

Step 4: Click on "Add", and it'll ask you to type in a channel you need to type #Kametsu (remember to do the #). At this time if you wish to enter any other channel you may enter it now, such as #Cartoon-World. When you are done hit "OK".

sC1Ea.png

Step 5: Now you are brought back to the previous window (the one that edits the Xertion network). So all you need to do now is type the Nickserv password if you have registered your nick with Xertion. If you haven't registered yet then you may skip the Nickserv password and come back and complete this step once you have registered your nick. Now hit "Close".

JIol0.png

Step 6: After you complete steps 2-5 all you will need to do is his hit "Connect" and you will be connect to #Kametsu on Xertion.

BqCte.png

Step 7: Once you have connected to #Kametsu a dialogue box will pop up asking you to join a channel, since you have already configured XChat-WDK to connect to #Kametsu automatically you may uncheck "Always show this dialog after connecting." again this is optional (personally I hate this window and would rather use /join #nameofchannel command, this can only be done when connected to a server).

5EknX.png

Congratulations you now can chat on Kametsu's official IRC channel!

However I'd take a minute to familiarize yourself with the different functions of XChat-WDK.

mBima.png

MISC: If you want to utilize XChat-WDK better for downloading then we can allow XChat-WDK to download automatically. This is great if you are doing a batch and are going to be away from the computer. However there is a risk that someone might send you something malicious, but it is up to you to decide, if you don't want to use it you can ignore these steps and just use XChat-WDK as-is. Kametsu nor I will not accept responsibility for anything that is sent to you.

Step 8: First, open up Preferences, Settings -> Preferences.

6IsDW.png

Step 9: Click on "File transfers" which is at the bottom of list on the left. Change "Auto accept file offers" to Yes. And change "Download files to:" to a desired location (by default it was pointing to a folder that didn't exist so I had to change it to a valid location, and browse didn't work for me so I had to copy and paste the directory from the windows file explorer). Once you are done, hit "OK". Again by changing Auto accept file offers to Yes you will run the risk of downloading something malicious (although it is unlikely but the risk is still there).

G2yBa.png

Don't forget to look for plugins to enhance your IRC experiences.

Edited by An IP BreAKDoWN
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I changed some wordings to reflect Xertion instead of Rizon, but should probably be edited some more and pics need updating. Some people seem to be getting confused on EDK as to how to connect because the guides still point to the old channel, lol, so figured I'd try correcting them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...