Yu-Gi-Oh! - Jinzo Rulings

Koby

300px-JinzoGLD1-EN-GUR-LE.png

Effect: Trap Cards cannot be activated. The effects of all face-up Trap Cards are negated.
I have a lot of duels where various questions like this come up and rather than debate about it in a duel it's just easier to post here for a source to link to when needed.

Question: Jinzo negates all face-up Trap Cards.. then what happens with Call of the Haunted and similar cards? Can they be used to special summon him or would once summon the effect be negated and Jinzo have to be sent back to grave?
Answer: Yes, Jinzo can be Special Summoned by Call of the Haunted as the Special Summon is resolved before he's officially on the field for his effect to activate. He simply negates the destruction ability afterwards of CotH's effect. So when Call of the Haunted is destroyed, Jinzo won't be destroyed.

If Jinzo was special summoned with Call of the Haunted and later Jinzo is destroyed, Call of the Haunted will be destroyed.

Question: Well then I have a question. I negate Jinzo with... Effect Veiler or something, and destroy CotH in that situation. Does it bring down Jinzo with it?
Answer: Yes, if Jinzo is brought back with Call of the Haunted and later Effect Veiler (or a similar card) negates Jinzo, Jinzo will be destroyed when Call of the Haunted is destroyed.

If anyone has any other questions please feel free to ask them.

While we're on the topic of Jinzo, say -

Someone summons Jinzo any which way and we activate a trap that negates the summon like Trap Hole, Bottomless Trap Hole, Solemn Warning or Solemn Judgement. Is Jinzo's summon negated or does his effect prevent us from activating traps?

Trap Hole destroys a monster once it's been summoned. So Jinzo would effectively be on the field first I'd say and therefore Trap Hole wouldn't work. Same with Bottomless Trap Hole.

Solemn Warning says it actually 'negates' the summon, therefore it should work because Jinzo wouldn't actually be considered summoned on the field yet. I believe it's the same with Solemn Judgment.

Update:

There seems to be some discrepancies in the ruling and it's been brought to the attention of most of the DN staff and at this time I'm waiting for them to verify some questions to clear it up, but it seems Jinzo actually can not be Special Summoned by Call of the Haunted.

Well, I guess I won't have to worry about this anymore. Though, the earlier description made more sense. I mean, Jinzo wasn't negating anything in the Grave and when he got summoned, he just negated the "effect" of CotH. The effect simply stated to remove both when either of them were destroyed, but CotD wasn't destroyed, simply negated.

Alright the ruling discrepancies have been filed. I've edited the first post to reflect the official rulings determined by DN staff.

Jinzo can in fact be Special Summoned by Call of the Haunted as the Special Summon is resolved before he's officially on the field for his effect to activate. He simply negates the destruction ability afterwards of CotH's effect. However you can use a card to negate Jinzo's ability and then destroy Call of the Haunted to take Jinzo down with it.

If skill drain was on the field first then it negate's his effect but you can't activate skill drain while jinzo is on the field. Also I don't think jinzo is destroyed when you use effect veiler cause there's no way to get the timing right, and jinzo loses all connection to call when he's summoned with it, so when jinzo is destroyed call is not (unless there's a way to get the timing right with effect veiler)

how about skill drain with jinzo?

As Super-Buu-5 says. Skill Drain would have to be on the field before he's summoned because you can't activate Traps after he is. All Skill Drain would do is negate his effect so you can then destroy CotH to take him down. Effect Veiler will effectively work the same way. Use it to negate Jinzo's effect and then destroy CotH and thus Jinzo is destroyed.

If his effect is not negated and CotH is destroyed then Jinzo is not. However if Jinzo is destroyed then Call of the Haunted is still destroyed as well. This is all according to the rulings according that the DuelingNetwork.com staff agreed on.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...