Koby

Japanese or English Dubbing?  

931 members have voted

1. 1. Japanese or English Dubbing?

• Japanese Dubbing with/without Subtitles
    • English Dubbing
    • Doesn't Matter to Me
    • Depends on the Anime

About a hand full of anime in my opinion are better with dubs. 

The entire DragonBall series.

GITS

HSDK

Cowboy Bebop

Air Gear

Thats all i can remember for now. But, to me, the overwhelming majority of anime is better in its native Japanese provided there are subtitles to help me understand. I just feel like they are far more adept at conveying emotion thoroughly and accurately and they seem to have a much deeper roster of VAs willing to take on roles. 

Edited by TsunX
  • Like 1

I'm probably the same with Koby.

I grew up watching the DiC Sailor Moon + R dub and Nelvana Cardcaptors dub and I could never finish rewatching the series in Japanese because I preferred the dub. For Sailor Moon S and above, I watched the original series with subs though (I didn't enjoy the dubs anymore)

As I starting watching more anime series I grew to like the original Japanese version more, it felt more natural and authentic. Sometimes I find English voice actors tend to exaggerate too much and it just sounds off. So you wouldn't catch me watching any English dub anime unless it's an old series I grew up watching.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I used to only prefer subtitles, especially during the earlier anime shows where the english dubbing wasn't done very well.  Nowadays it's nice to compare subtitles with the english dubbing in order to see how accurate the translations are and what changes were made.

I've always preferred subbed with anime if it actually originates from Japan. Subtle or even major cultural differences can instill emotion and impact a scene or whole story. When it's translated and with a different actor it seems to lose the emotion that was intended. It's the same with anything that comes from a different culture really. The only exception where I've ever preferred dubbed is Bebop because, cmon, Steve Blum is the shit. That and Vash's voice from Trigun is better dubbed imo.

• 5 weeks later...

Depends on the series. For example I watch GitS, Death Note, Berserk, Hellsing Ultimate, Black Lagoon dubbed; Space Dandy, The Boy and the Beast, Mob Psycho 100, One Punch Man subbed; stuff like Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, FMA I could go wit either, I prefer the sub for all 3 but the dubbing is definitely very watchable.

English dub for me. English sub makes me dizzy LOL! I don't like reading while watching. Well I also watch sub if there's no dub yet but still it makes me dizzy I don't know where to focus.. like should I focus on watching or reading? LOL!

Edited by Kitkat
  • Like 1

I can't read that fast because I have a hard time concentrating on the anime and reading at the same time. My brain probably can't process both things at the same time. I just can't relax and feel rushed if I have to read all the time. It just feels wrong.

I REALLY want to learn Japanese but that is one of the hardest languages I have heard to learn and you really need help. I wouldn't know who would even be willing to help me with that. A stranger like me. Love the culture, and everything about it, so it would be fantastic! (psst! I even find the women to be incredibly cute).

But in general, the original view of the director is the best. So that would be subbed. It saddens my heart that I have this problem. But thank god for English dub!

A curious fact, because I couldn't follow the subtitles I learned the English language as a kid extreme well and fast. Cartoons were English and because of the expressive nature I learned very quickly what things meant. When I was 7 or 8, I could speak English on a primitive level and understand it fully. Pretty bad ass if you ask me. I could read American comics kids at school couldn't.

The American language is a beautiful language, when I write stories I can write with power, anger, drama and even sadness pretty easily and it sounds so awesome. In my native language, everything sounds like crap. So when I write stories I often write in English. Shame most people I know don't really have a good English knowledge so I can't show them my stories.

16 minutes ago, UnknownNinja said:

I REALLY want to learn Japanese but that is one of the hardest languages I have heard to learn and you really need help. I wouldn't know who would even be willing to help me with that. A stranger like me. Love the culture, and everything about it, so it would be fantastic! (psst! I even find the women to be incredibly cute).

Just like me;)

18 hours ago, UnknownNinja said:

But in general, the original view of the director is the best. So that would be subbed.

This is why I started off as a subs only guy, that and the guy who got me really into anime is also a subs only guy so it rubbed off on me.

On 6/27/2017 at 0:27 PM, Kitkat said:

English sub makes me dizzy LOL! I don't like reading while watching. Well I also watch sub if there's no dub yet but still it makes me dizzy I don't know where to focus.. like should I focus on watching or reading? LOL!

18 hours ago, UnknownNinja said:

I can't read that fast because I have a hard time concentrating on the anime and reading at the same time. My brain probably can't process both things at the same time. I just can't relax and feel rushed if I have to read all the time. It just feels wrong.

I also would have this problem when I got too intoxicated before watching. I also absolutely love Japanese cartooning so I'd always to focus on as much of the cartooning as I possibly can while still processing all of the subs. This led to me giving a few dubs a chance while I was too fucked up to keep up with subs and ultimately liking a couple (Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Black Lagoon, Hellsing Ultimate, GitS, Death Note to name a few; although I still prefer the sub on the first 2 I mentioned but I still tend to watch them dubbed nowadays so I can focus on the cartooning) and developing an acceptance for dubbed anime. Another thing that gives me this problem is standard subs which a lot of foreign live action movies have, a lot of the anime encodes have these really nice looking stylized subs that are much easier to read while still being able to focus on everything else. Not only are standard subs really ugly but they're at the very bottom of the screen and the font is terrible considering it's purpose, the letters are too big and a little too far apart. I wish live action foreign movie encodes could get stylized subs, maybe there'll be a day when the Kametsu release does live action releases, that'll be the day:greedy:I mean there a couple live action adaptations of manga that never got an anime (Lady Snowblood, Lone Wolf and Cub, I Am a Hero and Oldboy to name a few, Riki-Oh too but the live action movie for that was really silly if you ask me).

• 3 months later...
On 4/5/2016 at 0:35 AM, Darkmind said:

Unless the dub is egregiously bad like Bleach or 4Kids's One Piece, then subs are probably the way I would go. Although given the length of those series, I would read the manga instead as I generally read manga instead.

4Kids One Piece I understand, but Bleach does NOT have a bad dub. 

As for my preference? My sig says it all.