The production company Aniplex confirmed on Saturday that the previously announced new Rurouni Kenshin anime series will be a two-part Shin Kyoto-Hen (New Kyoto Arc) original video anime series. The first part will play in Japanese theaters in December.
The new anime series will remake the Kyoto story arc of Nobuhiro Watsuki’s original manga and the previous anime adaptation. In particular, it will depict the battle of Kenshin Himura and Makoto Shishio and will be told from the point of view of the Oniwabanshū ninja Misao Makimachi. Director Kazuhiro Furuhashi and Studio DEEN are returning to animate the new series along with musical composer Noriyuki Asakura. Mari Okada (AnoHana, Wandering Son) is writing the scripts this time. Hiromitsu Hagiwara (Saint Beast ~Ikusen no Hiru to Yoru Hen~) is the new character designer, and Hiro Kaburaki (Kimi ni Todoke) will take over as the episode director. The cast will remain the same except for the role of Hajime Saitō, who will be played by Ken Narita.
- Mayo Suzukaze as Kenshin Himura
- Miki Fujitani as Kaoru Kamiya
- Miina Tominaga as Yahiko Myoujin
- Yuji Ueda as Sanosuke Sagara
- Tomo Sakurai as Misao Makimachi
- Yoshito Yasuhara as Aoshi Shinomori
- Masanori Ikeda as Makoto Shishio
- Ken Narita as Hajime Saitō